thebooktaught + TRAVELING

3:00 PM


No new review this Wednesday (or last Wednesday, I was super busy with exams) because I’m not nearby a computer, so this is written by the me of the past, and is a more laidback post, so feel free to skip it if it’s not on your notch!
As you read this I’m probably hugging the Harvard hoodie I bought in hopes it’s not the last I see of that school, but this post is really about showing you what I brought to my trip, book-related, as I can’t seem to spend any time away from books. Also, in the meantime, I share some tips I’ve learned over the years.
  1. Book - The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman. I always, always carry a book with me for the plane, long car ride, bus, etc. Pro tip: unless you’re going on a vacation strictly for reading, pick just one book. Yes, I know how just one book sounds, but as I’ve grown up I’ve realized that carrying 3 or 4 books when I travel “just in case I finish the one I’m reading” never works. If I was to go away for more than a week I’d pick a heavier book, but this one suits me just fine +  as I’ll be exploring the city and attending a congress, I won’t really have much time to sit and relax.  Also, if you have an e-reader, it’s probably better to take it instead of a physical book. They save up space and you can carry all the books in the world. (UPDATE: I ended up carrying one more book... haha)
  2. Safe storage for your book. My books always go inside my bag or backpack, never in my hand, but as I prefer paperbacks over hardcovers, if I just throw it in, the pages will get all smashed, the cover will get some damage and the spine will break before time. So I’ve learned that it’s best to put in inside a pouch it’s size or even use a scarf to cover it before I put it away.
  3.   Bookmark. I used to always lose bookmarks when traveling until I found magnetic ones. Mine was a gift, it’s from Verona!
  4.   Music. If it’s noisy or I’m tired, I can’t read unless I listen to music. I have a playlist of quiet music, that mostly consists of F. Liszt and acoustic versions of my favorite songs, and one of my regular music, mainly The Maine and Brand New. Earplugs work aswell. 
  5.   Earphones. Mine are skullcandy, they cancel the noise and are really comfortable.
  6. Notebook. Whenever I read I always get inspired to write, either stories or just quotes or ideas I got while doing it, so I always take with me a journal. This one was given to me by a friend when he went to Spain.
  7.   Pen. I prefer long lasting gel ink pens for my journal.
  8.  Sticky notes. Since I started this blog, I have to recollect some information of the books I read, and as I don’t like at all to write on books, even with a pencil, I use sticky notes or page marks to single out specific things.



So that’s about it… book-related, of course. If you have any tips of traveling with books and such, please don’t forget to leave a comment! I’ll see you next week with 2 proper reviews! 

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios